Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:04:23 -0400
The only thing I would add is that EVEY DXpedition starts off with high
hopes of being one for the record books.  Lots of QSO's on every band, most
CW QSOs, most SSB QSO's, and on and on.  I don't think any of these folks go
with a real intention of doing anything less than their very best.  Then
reality sets in.  Gear fails, bad weather strikes, antennas break, and some
stuff just never makes it to their destination.  Then, the complaining
starts "I can hear him, but he didn't work ME!"  To make matters worse,
propagation gods decide that today is not the day.  There is a very good
reason these places are on the Most Wanted list.  They are hard to get to,
they are hard to operate from, and there are no end of problems when they
get there.  The good lord willing, everyone makes it home safe and sound.
As we were reminded today, this does not always happen...

We should all be thankful that despite all the difficulties, folks still go
on these adventures.  Have I been dissapointed by a DXpenition to a rare
place?  More times that I can remember.  Have I been happy to snag that rare
one?  More times that I can remember.  That is what makes this all so
interesting!

I would hope everyone keep things in perspective.  In spite of sometimes
difficulties, people go to hard-to-get places, and try their very best.  We
should all be thankful for that!

Tom - VE3CX