Re: Topband: As for me and my station we will run QRP in the Stew Perry

To: "N7DF" <n7df@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: As for me and my station we will run QRP in the Stew Perry
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:52:10 -0700
Way to go, Larry.
Hope we can QSO in the SP.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude

----- Original Message -----
From: "N7DF" <n7df@yahoo.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:56 PM

The SP is the only contest where you can feel a real accomplishment running
QRP

There is an immediate gratification to making a new longest distance contact

Quite frankly I have gotten burnt out on just trying for the most
multipliers and/or QSOs

In most of the 160 meter contests anymore I concentrate on giving the NM
multiplier to as many VE, W1, W2, W3 and DX stations as I can

I have had some success with QRPP on 160 My FT1000MP will only go down to
850 milliwatts output before it starts getting unstable but I have been able
to get into the east coast and as far into the pacific as KH6 (and a couple
of JAs) at that power level.

It seems like running 5 watts is a lot of power anymore. Admittedly I will
run QRO to work DXpeditions but I have also worked many of them a second
time QRP just for the fun of it toward the end of their operation when they
are not quite so busy.

As far as scoring not being a level playing field TANSTAAFL. If you want to
make a big score then go to where you can make a lot of contacts and work a
lot of multipliers. And, build a competitive station.

73
Larry
N7DF