Re: Topband: Real RST

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Real RST
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:18:37 -0700
This debate goes on forever and leaves out some very important factoids.
First let me pontificate on the past. Yesteryear when the RST system was
born many receivers had no S meter. A report was as described in one of
the old ARRL Operating Manual(s) and had real meaning.

Fast forward. Today every receiver has an S meter. Almost all of them
also have a QRM fighting feature called "AGC Off". Now, when AGC is set
to OFF there may or may not be an S meter reading. Here at K6XT one rig
does, one does not. If I'm on the "does not" rig there's nothing to
read, and I revert to the old ARRL Operating Manual definition, suitably
modified for the low bands. On the other rig there is a reading but its
different than the normal one because only one AGC loop is in service,
the protection loop around the AD converter. So again, no realistic reading.

For DXpeditions, contesting etc. it works this way: "Who has time to
fuss with the meter??" The report either defaults to 599 or the old ARRL
Op Manual.

Suitably modified for the low bands at my station its like this:

339 = I think that was my call, got a couple letters, no other XT
replied (and I won't send a card)
449 = QRM/QSB but after a few tries I got my call and report.
539 = Weak but Q5.
559 = Good signal
599 = hurts my ears because you have a fine signal and Oh! I forgot, the
AGC is off

The rest of the RST system has far too many gradations for me to bother
with. If we really were concerned with exacting reports, they would be
in dBm  from NIST traceable receivers, they would include exhaustive
descriptions of the tx and rx antennas, terrain mapping, and
comprehensive details of the prevailing ambient noise levels at each end.

DXpeditions have so much crud to contend with that I rate 599 an
accurate report per the ARRL Op Manual. That was the case on my one and
only DXpedition.

73 Art