Re: Topband: Real RST

To: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Real RST
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0500
 I am not sure when this whole business of strength being an S-meter
reading, but it does not seem appropriate - especially on 160.  Besides,
there is no "10" or "20" on the RST scale as some folks try to imply with
on-air reports..

Between QRN and QSB, and the use of directional receiving antennas, an
S-meter reading at the far end is not of much value.  Besides, depending on
the rig and its calibration, S-meter readings even on the same radio can be
different.  Most of the time, it simply ends up being a placeholder or
preamble in a contest excahnge.

I DO like the idea of replacing RST with your grid-square - far more useful
info - especially on 160.  Also forces one to pay attention :-)

Tom - VE3CX