Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?

To: topband@contesting.com, Mike & Coreen Smith <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:39:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mike,

I have a similar height mast (military AB-621) with a somewhat larger antenna
on top, 4 El. SteppIr. When K6SE was still alive I discussed shunt feeding it
with him. Earl thought it could be done, but probably would not be easy, nor
particularly effective. It would do a good job on 80.

Due to a nasty storm, I had to erect something quickly for 160. It's similar to
you tee. My wire was parallel to the mast and the tophat wire was almost 150'
long. Very slight slope to it due to the trees supporting the ends of the wire.
It worked VERY well.

All the reading and discussions I have over the preceding 6 years suggest that
anything above the first capacitance hat/wire provides little or now benefit. I
think there have been articles through the years in magazines like Ham Radio,
QST and QEX that have explored this topic.

By the way, you had a very solid signal this weekend past. Wish you had been
playing in SS a lil'. Did you land the HB0? It was a new one for me and VERY
loud. Gotta love mountain reflectors ;o)

73,
Julius
Julius Fazekas
N2WN