Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:37:40 -0500
Herb :

     I'm not sure you'd ever be able to prove effectiveness one way or
another (to ground or not to ground the radials' far ends.)  When I
installed my radials in 1998, I used large nails to hold them into the
ground as you did, but did not connect them electrically to the radial
wires.  My thoughts were that the nails or even short rods weren't long
enough to be effective in gathering up RF currents that might have
penetrated (skin depth, ya know) the earth, so I just ran the wires where I
could and cut them off.

     Anyone with BCB engineering experience out there who can answer
authoritatively?

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F