Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

To: "'Wolfert, William R.'" <WWolfert@columbuspolice.org>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:22:37 -0700
Thanks for the note Bill.

As you say, Physics doesn't cut any special deals with anyone.

That of course is the good news delivered simultaneously with the bad news.

The way to deal with radials is to have none -- just put your 1/4 wave
vertical out on a rock in the ocean and go from there.

I think you characterize it correctly when you point out that the efficiency
with no radials or just a few radials is low.

I did a little thought experiment to get to the 'screening' idea.

I started out imagining that there were an infinite number of radials spaced
an infinitely short distance apart and "sufficiently" long. That would allow
the field return to have very low losses. Then, as one removes radials and
positions the remaining ones an equal distance apart there will be more and
more of the field travelling through the lossy medium [earth] with
correspondingly greater losses. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to
conclude that 'more is better' and more close to the feed point is better
since the current is higher there for the 1/4 wave and shorter verticals.

I am not sure how to reconcile that concept with the elevated radials setup
or with the ground plane antenna systems used on high frequencies. I guess I
have never looked closely at the elevated radial system losses -- not much
chance of me ever being able to install such an antenna I am afraid.

My experience has been the same as Gene's and Lee's --- insulated wire works
best for me on a long term basis. I happen by good fortune to have captured
at no cost about 2 miles of insulated #15 stranded copper wire. It was
originally sent down holes in the oil filed [who knows why}. A bit stiff
when handling, but once inserted just below the grass it seems to not
deteriorate. I add a few radials each year in the hope that it will make it
easier for me to be heard when transmitting.

On the other hand I make changes every year in the RX antennas hoping to
hear people who have heard me calling and want to call back. A vicious
circle I am afraid.

Tod, K0TO