Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:46:39 -0800
     It seems to me that if radial wires are required to carry the antennas
 return RF current we might be concerned about the skin depth of the
 radial conductors. It also seems to me that if we can keep the surface
 of the radial wire pristine clean copper by protecting them from corrosion
 with insulation we will be protecting and maintaining the current carrying
 ability within the skin depth of the wire. I believe copper oxide, sulphates,
 and so forth are semiconductors at best.
     I use magnet wire for radials that has a high temperature rating for
 motor winding. I have dug up some of the wire after 15 years and found
 the wire to as good looking as new. Sure makes me feel better about the
 wires ability to carry RF current.
    The problem as I see it is any deterioration would be so slow it would
 be hard to see or prove in all but the worst soils.
     My vote is for insulated radial wire.
Lee  K7TJR  OR