Topband: verticals and radials and such

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: verticals and radials and such
From: Trent Fleming <trent.fleming@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 13:33:34 -0600
All,

I have been reading through the threads on  bare vs insulated radial wire,
and also on the chicken wire "screen"  issue.  I am so impressed with this
group in terms of the professional and civil way that so many different
opinions are offered.  While I am not yet on 160m, I am working on it, and I
look forward to meeting such a fine group on the air one of these days.

My current effort is a 1/4 vertical for 40m to add an option to my
multi-band dipole.  At some point, I may choose to add a wire to attempt an
inverted L on 80 and 160.  First, I want to get the 40m segment working, and
get a lot of radials down.

Now, here is my question - did you see the article in the current NCJ
regarding the high losses in verticals?  Upon reading that article, one
might be convinced to simply throw up their hands and not put a vertical up
at all . . . did anyone else read it that way?

I'm not going to throw up my hands, but I also was dissapointed that the
article really offered no suggestions, just a detrimental view of vertical
antennas.  Did I miss something?

73, and good DX and Merry Christmas to you all!

Trent
N4DTF

--
Trent Fleming