Re: Topband: verticals and radials and such

To: "Trent Fleming" <trent.fleming@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: verticals and radials and such
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:12:30 -0600
> Now, here is my question - did you see the article in the current NCJ
> regarding the high losses in verticals?  Upon reading that article, one
> might be convinced to simply throw up their hands and not put a vertical
> up
> at all . . . did anyone else read it that way?
>
> I'm not going to throw up my hands, but I also was dissapointed that the
> article really offered no suggestions, just a detrimental view of vertical
> antennas.  Did I miss something?

> N4DTF
-----

My opinion is that the writing style (and perhaps editing) created the wrong
impression of Al's work -- all he showed was that losses occur in the ground
system area. If there is any revelation, it is that losses are still present
with 60 radials, despite some thoughts that such a number is "enough."
Assuming his methodology is correct, what he confirmed is that "more is
better."

All it did for me is create more enthusiasm to collect surplus copper wire
and get to work next year!

Also, on the other recent topic of a grid system counterpoise -- as long as
the grid is dense enough, there will be no problem with current cancellation
in a multi-element array. I've seen recommendations that range from a
maximum of 1/10 wavelength squares down to much smaller dimensions. From
what I've seen on reflectors for HF curtain arrays for broadcasting and
OTH-B, small feature grids have been preferred by their designers.

Gary
K9AY