Re: [CQ-Contest] [SMC] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted

To: K9AY <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [SMC] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted
From: "Jonathan L. Rosner" <rosner@hep.uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:28:48 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, K9AY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for interesting stories for the writeup of the ARRL 160M
> contest. I'll bet the stories are as good as the conditions!

I was inspired by Eric's call for QRP entries to see how QRP would play.
As a test, I went on 160 the night before the contest and managed to
work SV3RF with 5 watts.  As our noise level is S9 here in the city,
conditions must have been exceptional that night, and he must have some
great RX capability.

There was no EU DX to be had here during the contest, but persistence
paid off with a couple of Caribbean mults and several ones in the US.
The total of 386 Q's and 65 mults is my best QRP effort on any 160
contest.  The only way I can think of doing better would be to
operate longer than the 13:45 hours I put in.

73,
Jon     WO9S
--
        Jonathan L. Rosner               Phone: 773-702-7694
         Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago   Fax:   773-702-8038