Topband: Continued good condx to EU

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Continued good condx to EU
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:57:22 -0800
Friday night local (Sat AM UTC), 10 EU stations were worked in
the 02, 03, and 04 hours.  Some others were audible, but too weak
to call.  I finally worked DF2PY and HA5JI after many attempts
over the years.  G4AMT was very strong, S8 to S9.

Saturday morning local, just before sunrise, I called CQ and
worked SM5EDX for only my 2nd ever pre-sunrise EU QSO.  Whereas on
40 and 80 meters, morning EU signals are invariably LP, the
signal on 160 meters this morning was about equally copiable
on either the SP (30 degrees) or LP (210 degrees).  (Actually,
this is the same single wire beverage, but fed from one
end or the other).  And this beverage normally has good F/B
ratio.  Another SM spotted me on packet as being
SP, FWIW.

Signals from SA were poor last night.  Some SA stations had
big pile ups heard here, but the DX station was weak or nonexistent.

As I have often found, when 160 is open to EU, then 80 is
fantastic to EU.  On 75, I worked some Italian stations that
were incredibly loud.  Also worked a ZS on 75 easily.

Rick N6RK

"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX