Re: Topband: Interesting Observation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Interesting Observation
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:12:07 -0900
> Lo & behold, each "L" now tunes to 1914-KHz, +/- 2-KHz---an upward increase
> of some 44-KHz!
>
> Whether this is because of the fact that the ground beneath the radial field
> is now frozen, or because there are no leaves in the trees supporting the
> elements (or sap flowing through the trunks & branches of same), is
> unknown...but it IS interesting to note that the upward changes in resonant
> frequencies were surprisingly in sync with one another.

Hi Ed

We see this effect in the Arctic every winter. It is not the leaves but the
ground.
Once I increased the radials to (A Lot) the vertical antenna stayed put at 1832
or so. I actually made this measurement every week for a few years and could
watch the freq shift up as the winter came and back down as spring stated to
thaw the ground. I finally ended up with 150 radials to stop the effect.

I moved to Kenai which is South of the old station and have the same antenna
with only 60 or so radials. No freq change noted here at this location but the
ground is all rocky hill top.

73 Rich KL7RA

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK