Re: Topband: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users andtes

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users andtesters
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:51:47 -0300
Dennis, Hi

Some might disagree, but the 2 best CW transceivers I've ***EVER*** owned
for crowded bands and speaking specifically about CW contesting and pileup
work have been a TS-830S(gold label- modded with 2 CW filters) and my IC-736
with narrow CW filter. (I don't do much SSB work.) The IC-736 is hard to
find, as I understand they didn't make a whole lot of them and once owned
guys generally keep them a long time ! (Surprisingly there is one for sale
in VE1 just popped up y'day @ $750 MAN--if I had the dosh, I'd buy it, I
like the 736 so well).  I can operate just a few kcs away from either VY2ZM
or VE1ZZ with no blowby or other nasty things happening to my IC-736, so
that should tell you something about those rigs.  Jeff's and Jack's  signals
are clean, but they're a bazillion over s9 right next door here...HI !

OK, I also currently have an IC-735 and it's noisy and crunchy sounding.  No
comparsion to the IC-736...different beast altogether. No CW filter---yuck !
Not sure what it would be like with a filter, but I get the impression its
not as bullet proof.
I haven't used it much....was going to put it in the mobile, so my comments
on that might not be "fair".

I have used the TS-850 with filters @ VE1PZ's stn many years ago during CQWW
SSB and although I liked it "OK", I still felt my 736 heard better with
smoother audio.  To be fair I didn't make many CW contacts with it.  I
didn't like the sounds it made while tuning the band (phase noise?) and
there were a few phantom signals of the louder stations here and there.

Although not on your list, I would not recommend the FT-450at....which
although it's a cool little Hf+6m rig, doesn't have the capability for a
proper CW filter of any kind and it's my not so humble opinion that DSP is
not the same as a nice mechanical CW xtal filter.  I got it on a trade to
have a backup rig for 6m......I am a diehard 6m DXer, which brief excursions
to 160m... ;-)

I'm sorry, can't speak to the rest of your list as I've never owned any of
those.

Will be interested in hearing the results of your informal survey and I am
sure many will expound the virtues of rigs like the K3 or the
FT-2000D...which I've heard many nice things about....however seems it's out
of mine and your budget !  If only we were all rich... Cheers Dennis

Mike VE9AA, eh

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB