Re: Topband: Fw: Shunt fed tower

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Shunt fed tower
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:52:55 -0400
I modeled my 97-foot Rohn 25 with three yagis on it, and the result
seemed to indicate that 50 ohms plus some XsubL was to be found at about
50 feet.  I tried a single-wire shunt there, spaced about 30 inches from
the tower, but the series capacitor would not give me even a rough
match.  I tried just below the first yagi, at 69 feet, and it was not
usefully better, so then I put it back down at about 50 feet and used an
omega match.  With that and a radio at the bottom of the tower (BCI
makes my MFJ unusable on 160), I was able to get it tuned in less than 5
minutes, with a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of about 70 KHz.

Aside from requiring a second capacitor, I don't see any serious
downside to the omega match.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com

On 4/25/2010 8:31 PM, Jon Zaimes AA1K wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> I've usually found the 30-40 ft. height works fine if the tower is
> electrically 1/4 wave or less. But if it it is longer than 1/4 wave the
> longer shunt is needed.
>
> 73/Jon AA1K (/1 in Maine this week)
> www.aa1k.us
>
> On 4/25/2010 10:10 AM, Wayne Rogers wrote:
>
>> George and others that have responded:  Thanks.
>>
>> George provided the guidance I was looking for.  I am still confused though
>> with the references I have seen to a 'shunt fed tower' where the rod goes
>> all the way to the top.  Obviously a 40' gamma match is easier to implement
>> than a full height (90' in my case) shunt feed.  Is there any benefit to
>> going all the way to the top?
>>
>> Thanks again for the help.  I have learned quite a bit just monitoring the
>> reflector, and really appreciate the wisdom of rthe group.
>>
>> Wayne N1WR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK