Re: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions
From: mrtman777 <mrtman777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
Guy,

Sounds great if the ground resistance stays the same for a given ground system
with different antenna lengths.  But that is an assumption.

By moving the current maxima up in the antenna, you will be moving the current
maxima out in the radial system as well.  I believe that that might change the
resistance of the ground system  (i.e., need longer radials for the same
effectiveness).   However, if that pesky ground resistance stays the same, a
3/8
wl inverted L would be better than a 1/4wl L due to lower ground loss as your
modeling indicates.   Since radials systems are hard to model accurately, I
will
have to do some experimentation.  So far, I have a transmitter and MFJ SWR
meter
for measurments.  That isn't accurate enough.  This winter when I get some
better instrumentation together, I will lengthen my inverted L to 3/8 wl and
measure the feedpoint resistance, subtracting the modeled 52 ohm radiation
resistance to get ground resistance.  I want to see if the ground resistance is
still 15 ohms with the 3/8 wl antenna like with the 1/4 wl antenna currently.
If it is, I am sold on the 3/8 wl antenna.

Surely someone has already done this experiment.  Did your ground resistance
stay the same with both antenna lengths?  What length radials do you use?

73,
Trey KJ4FDV