Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: Frank Davis <fdavis@nfld.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:05:32 -0330
I have rec'd quite a number of offlist replies to my query about the current
opions on the best transceiver for Topband with or without a 2nd onboard
receiver.
In retrospec there was no need to specify two classes...
Here is a brief summary of the number of individual emails that mentioned a
particular rig.
Most emails were very brief but a few expounded on the virtues of a particular
rig.

14 - K3  with or without 2nd rx
3  - Orion I
2  - TS850
2  - TS590
1 - FT1000MP (vintage)
1 - FT2000
1 - FT1000D
1 - Omni VI
1 - Omni VII

It wasn't unexpected to me that the K3 would be very popular.  What was
surprising to me was the total lack of mention of any of the higher end Yaesu
or Icom rigs.
I also expected Orion II and the Omni VII to place high but that seems to not
be the case.
The K3 is the rig of choice these days for topband due mainly to weak signal
capability and selectivity.
I have only experienced one of the top list rigs having used the same FT1000MP
since 1997.

73 Frank VO1HP

What would be the preferred Topband transceiver these days in the two
categories:
1.) Onboard 2nd receiver   2.) No onboard 2nd receiver

Replies off list would be appreciated.

73 Frank VO1HP
fdavis@nfld.net

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK