Topband: K9AY-loop?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: K9AY-loop?
From: DM4iM <hamradio@vr-web.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:28:41 +0100
Topbanders,
i set up a K9AY-Loop over the weekend and currently am testing it.
I had nice Q's with W9ZR and VE3JM saturday night ,
both Q's were a joy with the signal wandering from one ear to the other.
I use a K3 with SUB-RX for the loop and a 1/2 wave dipole for the Main
RX/TX.
Sunday afternoon i added 3 Radials for each leg of the loop and a short
ground rod, abt. 1m only.
There was no improvement , it made things worse instead . Well at least
i feel so.
Without the radials and ground rod, i feel that the directivity is a lot
better. OTOH, on AM-BC, the directivity is impressive with the ground
rod and radials.

What is going wrong?

Is the size of the loop critical? Mine is a bit bigger (abt 2 or 3m)
than the original design by K9AY cuz i goofed with the math...

The coax is not grounded at the switch-box (it shouldn't be, right?).
The radials are just as long as the leg of the loop,
one is under the wire , 2 more split about 30-40 degrees each side.

If i optimize the Resistor for best Null, will it work for topband only?

All input welcome.

Martin DM4iM
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK