Topband: Short beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Short beverage
From: "Chuck Chandler" <ws1l@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:11:17 -0600
The discussion has got me interested in trying one out.  I thought my lot was
too small, but there is a ravine into the neighbors land that might let me put
out around 300 feet or so heading towards Europe.  It would run from one corner
of my yard all the way across, and into the woods beyond my property.  The
neighbor is cool, so permission should be possible.

I know I'll need some RG-6, and the DX Engineering feed system seems
reasonable.  Just add some wire (already on hand), a ground rod and figure out
some supports.  It would need to be temporary so I could take it up when the
grass starts to grow again, and so I could try other directions as need might
arise.

I guess my real question is if a short beverage is worth the effort.  Right now
I am using crossed K9AY loops for recieve, and a 65 foot tall Inverted-L for
transmit.  I seem to get out a bit better than I hear, though this winter I've
been too busy for much DX.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Oak Grove, MS - EM51
ws1l@comcast.net