Re: Topband: Do short beverages "work"?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Do short beverages "work"?
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:45:07 -0800
Hi Rick
It depends what you mean by "really short".  Some consider a half wave
to be really short.  Beverage Rice and Kellogg original AIEE paper
showed that there is not much difference in the pattern of a half wave
and a full wave, but considerable difference when you go to 2 wave.
They considered the half wave to be working as a Wave antenna, and for
sure the ones I have used (6 ft or so above ground) had useful
directivity on 160.
73
Bob VE7BS