Topband: Skin effect on RG6U at top band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Skin effect on RG6U at top band
From: jeremy maris <jeremy@maris.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:19:15 +0000
We've used 1 km of coax to feed a remote Beverage (3 wavelength, 60
degrees, for VK and far east). 750m of the coax is RG6U, with copper
braid. The results were poor, despite a 10dB head amplifier at the end
of the Beverage, so we measured the coax attenuation on part of the
run by putting 25W into the coax and measuring power into a 50 ohm
power meter. I appreciate this isn't 75 ohm like the coax but extra
losses from 1.5:1 SWR should be low.

The measured loss in the first 250m segment was ~ 6dB and about ~9dB
in the second segment, 15dB total over 500m. This is way higher than
published figures (eg at http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl)
   which suggest about 3dB per 250m.

I'm thinking that the copper plating on the RG6/U inner conductor is
too thin. N6LF gives the skin depth at 2MHz as 40uM (Conductors for HF
Antennas, Rudy Severns, QEX November/December 2000). Does anyone have
any typical figures for the plating thickness of RG6/U or have
evidence that attenuation figures at 2MHz are much higher than expected?

73

Jeremy G3XDK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK