Re: Topband: Skin effect on RG6U at top band

To: "jeremy maris" <jeremy@maris.plus.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Skin effect on RG6U at top band
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:57:34 -0500
CATV requirements start at 5MHz so I have my doubts that the cable is at
fault. Ive heard a similar complaint from Australia with copper braid RG-6
so wonder if it is a non USA product problem. Maybe the Chinese are saving
copper!

About 20 years ago I ran 750' of CATV quad shield RG6 which is aluminum
braid and shield to a relay box. It worked very well only to be destroyed by
critters in a month or so. Replaced it with obsolete .412" CATV hardline and
dont remember any difference; the .412 is still in use.

Prior to that at another QTH I had about 1200' of RG-6 running thru branches
and that heard well also and was used up to 20M (with a preamp) when snow
static wiped out yagi reception.

With the new Beverage system Im using up to 250' runs of RG6 quad shield and
flooded to relay boxes but its all elevated about 5' except where it has to
cross areas that I need to get a vehicle thru. With proper grounding and
common mode chokes there is absolutely no pickup.

Carl
KM1H