Re: Topband: 160 contest and SO2R

To: richard@karlquist.com,"Ron Spencer" <ron.e.spencer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 contest and SO2R
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 05:31:54 -0500
And on the other hand, I recall several times during the contest this
weekend I would be CQing and all of a sudden someone really loud
started CQing within 50Hz of me.  Did they even send a "?"?  Maybe,
they could have while I was CQing.  Or they really messed up with
their SO2R and started transmitting on the wrong radio/VFO or just
popped back expecting to have a clear frequency.  I send QRL? twice
and then a quick CQ.  If after the second CQ sequence, I don't hear
someone else, I consider it my frequency for now.  I will QSY if I
feel I have stepped on someone by mistake.  And yes, there are those
who are on the second radio for a while and come back expecting to
have a clear frequency.  Sometimes it is a value judgement whether to
battle it out, just find another frequency, or try to coexist.  At
100W, I don't win many of those battles.

At 2/1/2011 08:33 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
>Ron Spencer wrote:
> >   In this past weekend's contest I ran into this several times. I'd tune
> > the band, find a "seemingly" empty spot, listen and then send a quick ?.
> > Quick so that if its in use I don't cause QRM for too long.  Listen
> > again and if no response a quick QRL? If no response I'd start CQing.
> > Several times I followed that exact sequence only to have someone,
> > presumably the previous "owner" of that spot call CQ after I'd CQ'd,
> > sometimes, several times already. Again important to note absolutely NO
> > response to my earlier requests if that spot was busy.
> >
> > Here is what I think is happening. Whomever was there was off working
> > someone on the second radio. Only after I started to send CQ did they
>
>Maybe but OTOH, I have had this happen to me when I was trying to
>listen to a weak signal on a beverage and didn't hear the QRL at
>first.  Sometimes I may be listening for an entire minute without
>transmitting if the other station is sending slowly, etc.  It
>may seem like the frequency is not busy, but it is.
>
>I think if you find an "empty" frequency, you have to wait longer
>to see if it is in use, and simply take the risk that you are
>being an "enabler" for an SO2R station or the risk that the frequency
>truly was empty, and someone else poaches it.  (The well known
>phenomenon where someone who is looking for a frequency hears your
>QRL? and sends "YES" and starts CQ'ing.)
>
>Rick N6RK

>UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK