Re: Topband: 160 contest and SO2R

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 contest and SO2R
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:44:54 -0700
In defense of SO2R operators, there aren't very many stations that have the
receive-antenna isolation to effectively do SO2R on 160. It is far more likely
that the offenders are single-op assisted or multi-op stations jumping on a DX
cluster spot.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 02/01/2011 06:33 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Ron Spencer wrote:
>>    In this past weekend's contest I ran into this several times. I'd tune
>> the band, find a "seemingly" empty spot, listen and then send a quick ?.
>> Quick so that if its in use I don't cause QRM for too long.  Listen
>> again and if no response a quick QRL? If no response I'd start CQing.
>> Several times I followed that exact sequence only to have someone,
>> presumably the previous "owner" of that spot call CQ after I'd CQ'd,
>> sometimes, several times already. Again important to note absolutely NO
>> response to my earlier requests if that spot was busy.
>>
>> Here is what I think is happening. Whomever was there was off working
>> someone on the second radio. Only after I started to send CQ did they
>
> Maybe but OTOH, I have had this happen to me when I was trying to
> listen to a weak signal on a beverage and didn't hear the QRL at
> first.  Sometimes I may be listening for an entire minute without
> transmitting if the other station is sending slowly, etc.  It
> may seem like the frequency is not busy, but it is.
>
> I think if you find an "empty" frequency, you have to wait longer
> to see if it is in use, and simply take the risk that you are
> being an "enabler" for an SO2R station or the risk that the frequency
> truly was empty, and someone else poaches it.  (The well known
> phenomenon where someone who is looking for a frequency hears your
> QRL? and sends "YES" and starts CQ'ing.)
>
> Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK