Re: Topband: using 2 wire beverage transformer for 1 wire beverage

To: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: using 2 wire beverage transformer for 1 wire beverage
From: "John G3PQA" <g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 09:38:21 -0000
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:05 PM

> Question:  Can I simply attach a 470 ohm resistor between the far end of
> the single wire
> beverage and the ground rod, and then connect the feed end of the wire to
> one of
> the two antenna wire binding posts of the KD9SV box (leaving the other one
> empty)
> and expect reasonable performance?  I want to minimize the effort on this
> "temporary"
> problem.

I suggest you join both posts together, otherwise the reactance of the T1
secondary (hi-Z side of reverse direction xfmr) will be in series with the
beverage if primary disconnected.
Shorting or loading T1 primary (low-z coax side) will also work, enabling
you to use just one post, but easier just to short the two posts together
for the single wire.
73
John

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK