Topband: FS: rx antenna surge suppressors

To: topband reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FS: rx antenna surge suppressors
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:33:53 -0500
Shameless commercial plug follows - Topband types usually have large rx
antennas, and when my beverages and rx 4-square coaxes started snapping at
me when thunderstorms rolled over last year (they were disconnected in the
shack at the time), I installed a few of these in my single-point ground
cabinet on the back of the house:
https://picasaweb.google.com/n4ua.va/AntennaStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3-i-O46I-6kgE&feat=directlink

They were originally sold as protectors for GPS antennas, but they didn't
have a low enough threshold, so we didn't use them at work. I picked up a
bunch of them just because "they ought to be good for something"...

Internally, they are a straight-through conductor, that runs through the
center of a custom gas tube. The discharge voltage is around 60 volts, so it
will get rid a lot of surge energy. They have F-connectors at both ends, and
they originally came with screw-on TNC-F adapters that are easily removed.
You can find them on the Zap-Tech website, but they don't give any hard
specs there.

If you could use one or more, I am selling them for $15 each plus shipping.
Because of the mounting saddle, I would hesitate to put them in a padded
envelope, but they would travel well in the small flat-rate box.

73,

geo - n4ua
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK