Topband: DX windwo for the southern hemisphere

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: DX windwo for the southern hemisphere
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:32:08 -0800
This message came from Steve, VK6VZ, who asked me to post it here:

----------------------

G'day

It has been interesting reading the various threads on the topband reflector
relating to whether there is a need for a DX window during the premier 160m
DX contests.

As Pres N6SS points out, for those stations in the southern hemisphere, a DX
window that could be used only by the bottom half of the world, even if is
only a few kilohertz wide, would be of great help  to stations down here
and have big benefits for those wish to work into this part of the world who
have relatively modest stations.

December, January and February are our summer and, for at least half the
time here in Australia, 160m is full of S7 - S9 static - mostly well above
the signal levels of even the 'biggest gun' stations.

Owing to the amount of activity by European stations (and to a lesser
extent, North American stations) in the old DX window and the lack of space
in 160m owing to the high levels of activity across the northern hemisphere,
I no longer attempt to run stations in the CQ 160 - and not very often in
the Stew Perry contest either.   All my activity now is basically 'search
and pounce' - it is just too painful to attempt anything else.

The feeling that you can get down here in the southern hemisphere operating
on 160m in the aforesaid contests and the CQ WWs is that everyone in the
northern hemisphere is having the most glorious party and you are stuck in a
chair by a wall in the kitchen somewhere below eye-level.  ;-)

Practically speaking, no-one in the majority of countries in this half of
the world is ever going to place in the Top 50 in any 160m contest with the
exception of the Stew Perry, or, similarly, in the 160m section of the CQ
WWs.  As there is no glory available, stations down here have to operate on
160m for fun - of which not much is currently available.

I still love the topband and don't have much time to operate it in general
anymore but usually make a bit of an effort in the contests - in common with
the majority of southern hemisphereans who enjoy the lower frequency amateur
short-wave bands.  'Search and pounce' is pleasant but I don't work as many
stations as I could if it was still possible to run stations.

Unfortunately those 160m contest contacts with southern hemisphere stations
are likely to become increasingly rare, unless something can be done to
encourage operation from here.

Vy 73 Steve, VK6VZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK