Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:51:51 -0400

On 2/11/2011 12:09 PM, W2PM wrote:
> Why not just use SKYPE?  Could have a packaged service which includes band
> noise, QRM, etc. Like Dr DX but via SKYPE.  QST can do a full tech review.
> For once it may be meaningful too.

Well in fact I do........use Skype.... but in a very different way that
is intended to be helpful and not during contests.  Here is what I do:

I have my RX and NE Beverage on 1821.5 with Skype in Auto Answer.
Anyone who calls my Skype gets the RX audio, to test, if they wish, how
their signal is being heard here during various propagation conditions.
This is a single frequency, single user, courtesy basically to test
propagation for the other end to switch TX antennas.  It provides no
direct help in "enabling" a contact.  At times when I have put it into a
wider mode on the QSX frequency of a Dx-pedition to give an idea of the
magnitude of callers across 1.5 Khz.  The latency of a few seconds is
enough to discourage any misuse. It may have had some value,  during the
PJ entity explosion as propagation here is the same as most of the
nearby PJ5,6, and 7.

If you can hear yourself in the pileup across 1.5 khz of audio you
deserve a medal anyway. If there is a problem with this, I would like to
know.  Please let us not make the technology good the victim of the bad.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK