Re: Topband: Weatherproof enclosures?

To: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Weatherproof enclosures?
From: Paul Staupe <pstaupe@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:41:26 -0500
Thanks to all who helped me out.

I had looked in the wrong aisle at my local Menards earlier in the week and
picked up some metal outdoor single gang boxes, but really couldn't see how
putting five plastic plugs in the open holes would be a good weathertight
solution.

Based on Les' W2LK suggestion, I ran to Home Depot and picked up several of
the Carolon 4x4x2 boxes, but when I read Jeff's note, I went back to Menards
to pick up the same size Kraloy boxes with the brass machine screws and
threaded inserts for the cover.  Got the resistors and gas discharge modules
yesterday from Digi-Key and the binocular cores and Teflon wire earlier in
the week as well as some flooded RG-6, so hopefully soon I'll be hearing
Europe, SA and VK/JA a whole lot better from Minnesota.  Too bad I didn't
start this project last September!

Best regards,

Paul W0AD

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Lately I've become quite fond of weather-tight electrical handy-boxes as
> enclosures for beverage hardware. They can be found in the electrical
> supplies
> sections of Home Depot or Lowes for ~$6 or so.  The smallest enclosures are
> about 4x4" by 2" deep and feature a gasket seal and screw-on cover.  The
> plastic
> housing is easy to drill for fittings.
>
> Home Depot carries Carlon, similar to these:
> http://www.carlonsales.com/himelineheseries.php
>
> My favorites are Kraloy brand, found at a midwest home-improvement chain
> called
> Menards.  They use brass machine screws and threaded inserts for the
> covers.
>

> http://www.kraloyfittings.com/Content/Products/Product.aspx?ProductId=39
>
>  Part number JB442 is the 4x4x2 version.
>
> -Jeff