Re: Topband: soldering radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: soldering radials
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 04:42:01 -0400
Jorge,

Perhaps your friend's concern was that the solder joints would corrode
with time and galvanic action. Some have suggested using silver solder
to avoid this problem.

I used just regular solder when doing radials on my 160-meter parasitic
array a dozen years ago and haven't observed any problem with corrosion.
But this may vary from climate to climate and with varying soil conditions.

A simple and cheap method I have used for some verticals is to drive a
short scrap of copper pipe into the ground at the base of the vertical,
and use an all-stainless hose clamp to clamp the wires to this pipe. No
solder required.

73/Jon AA1K

On 8/15/2011 8:12 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
> Hello,
>

> a friend told me to not solder radials to the vertical ring/plate and
> between them if I am installing an array, like a 4 square. That´s because
> can catch some noise.
>

> That´s true?
>

> If yes, how can I solder them? Also if I use a DXE plate to atacch the
> radials, I need to solder the wire to terminals, so what type of solder may
> I use?
>

> Do you have a type/model (or ebay link) to see what to use?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jorge
>
> CX6VM/CW5W

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK