Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question
From: "Michael G. Carper" <mike@wa9pie.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 20:01:00 -0400
Okay... great responses all.  Here's what I think I'm gonna do...

I'll go vertical with an inverted L.  I'm thinking to be resonant around
1.825MHz, I'll need about 128.2' of wire.  I'll go up about 70'... then the
rest will be almost exactly horizontal.  I'll go with at least a dozen
elevated radials about 134.8' long.  I'll terminate those at a post where
I'll have an insulator for the "driven element" and one where the radials
terminate.  I'll stick an SO-239 there to make things easy.  I figure this
should be resonant at the chosen frequency.

Later, I'll put up at least one beverage antenna for receive (but there's no
way I'll have a chance to do that initially).  Does that sound reasonable as
a starting position?

Thanks to all who talked me out of the B&W Folded Dipole.

Mike, WA9PIE