Re: Topband: Effect of current max not at base of vertical.

To: GeorgeWallner <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of current max not at base of vertical.
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:11:10 -0400
George,  Some designs have been able to reduce the over all height of
the Franklin by folding out  or back the high voltage top and bottom
portions.  The phasing coupler is placed at the center with the
transmission line inside the insulated bottom section.  The center feed
portion with a correct phase reversal is supposed to be crucial to
proper operation.  WHO KSTP used Franklin antennas because they were by
assignment omni directional  50KW stations that wanted a bit more ERP
and a multi tower directional was not an option.

For hams this could easily be done with a "Z" type configuration with a
top wire and a bottom wire bringing the whole antenna to a two half
waves in phase array, assuming the center coupler thus exceeding the
gain at low angles well over a single bottom fed half wave radiator. A
folded Franklin might be easy to model to determine the point of
diminishing return on the folded portion.

Herb, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK