Re: Topband: Radials help

To: Buzz Jehle <buzz@logi.us>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:42:27 -0700
Bare radials will work just fine.

You plan to use 16 quarter wavelength radials. If you are using (only) 16
to save on wire or installation labor you might want to install 32 eigth
wavelength radials instead. You will achieve lower ground loss. See the
N6LF radials papers for details.

Dave WX7G
On Nov 9, 2011 9:17 PM, "Buzz Jehle" <buzz@logi.us> wrote:

> Installing 80 and 160 verticals and was going to use 14 gauge uninsulated
> solid copper wire for radials.  Little dirt here, mostly limestone and
> caliche. Is there any reason to use insulated wire?  No one seems to sell
> bare wire anymore (Lowes, Home Depot), but it would hide better than
> colored insulated wire.  I have lots of deer, squirrels, porcupines,
> possums, skunks, but no hogs.  Half the radials will cross the caliche
> driveway.  We have only had 3" of rain all year, so the ground is
> essentially cement. Radials will just be laying on top held in by steel
> staples.  Grass may cover in years to come! Was going to start with 16 1/4
> wave 160 meter radials.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions on where to buy radial wire or how to install
> greatly appreciated off reflector.
>
> Thanks Buzz N5UR Bandera Texas, Cowboy Capital of the World

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK