Re: Topband: Beverage transformer enclosures

To: Dave Mueller <daven2nl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage transformer enclosures
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:32:00 -0500

> On 11/11/2011 9:11 AM, Paul DeWitte wrote:
>> What do you use for transformer enclosures?
>>
>> The ones that I have been using did not stand up. Just curious what others
>> use.

Hi Paul,

Here in THe Great White North of Canada I've used two types of "el-cheapo"
enclosures quite successfully, i.e.:

(1) Metal cookie tins (the British ones seem to be best, and their contents are
tasty!)---just remember to apply a LIGHT application of petroleum jelly where
the lid contacts the main body to guard against seizure from rust, and,

(2) The large Folgers-brand plastic percolated coffee holders (i.e. the red
ones, with the black tops).

In order to keep moisture out, I drill one or two small holes at the bottoms of
the cookie tins. For the Folgers containers I drill a small hole in the lid
that's large enough to accommodate a plastic corrugated drinking straw. I then
insert a short (2") length of straw through he hole, seal it to the lid with
silicone, then bend the corrugated part so that the straw bends down upon
itself. This allows the contents to "breathe", preventing condensate build-up,
and the bend in the straw keeps snow & rain out...

One last thing that I do to absorb any residual moisture that might get inside
during the long winter months is place a couple of tea bags inside each
enclosure. I used to pour in a handful of rice, but some critter sensed its
presence & repeatedly broke into the enclosures in order to eat my absorbant!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK