Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:39:12 -0400
On 12/4/2011 11:09 AM, Eddy Swynar wrote:

Rather than decry the format of the event, why not celebrate it as a potential
birthplace for to-morrow's contestors...?

Eddy....I will tell you why......The ARRL 160 is and always has been a
disappointment in turn out and DX.  Not so much that it treats the amateurs in
the U.S. Territories as second class hams, but the fact that it not even a
challenge as a radio competition to participate in.  For station only miles
away in VP2V there could be some interests but even there they are prohibited
from working any real DX  and must EPA in the log a zillion times.  At least
their results will get listed in the QST published results if they get on for
more than a few hours.

In a contest that scores KH0, KH8, KH2 (and alll the other U.S. possession in
the Pacific  in the same category as Hawaii just makes no sense.  It appears
the ARRL/CAC is infactuated with the ARRL sections thing.  But wait, they have
the ARRL Sweepstakes and that covers 160-10 and excludes DX.

Now if you want a contest design that as you said "celebrates it as a potential
birthplace for to-morrow's contestors,"  I would ask you only to compare the
Stew Perry Topband Distance challenge.  This is a superb model and allows
competition of all types of entries where low power and QRP get significant
boost, especially if you work one.  The SP is not designed to molify someones
ego at Newington with this EPA thing but rather serves as a fair and balance
competition designed for 160 meters by 160 meter operators.  Remember years ago
when Charles O'Brian, W2EQS (sk) came up with the CQ 160 meter contest idea.
There is no question that it is one of the most popular low band contests with
the SP close behind.

There is this sclerosis and atrophy, it appears, by those in charge in
Newington and the CAC members who really don't care that much about 160 meters.
 So it is what it is, a bummer of a contest for most.  Why is it so difficult
for them to make a simple change in the rules to reflect what is DX and what
isn't?  Last night I got some raspberries for calling CQ EU only even though
there were two other KP2's active during the contest.  On Friday night my call
operated remotely from NYC gave out 100 mainland contacts while I held my nose.
 As far as the 160 meter ARRl DX contest is concerned, I just quote Roberto
Duran, "No Mas"

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK