Re: Topband: ARRL 160 conditions/zero beat

Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 conditions/zero beat
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:49:09 -0500
A few points on the zero beat issue:

Some rigs are difficult to "zero beat".   For example, my TS-440:

1) does not have a ZB function

2) uses a 800 Hz offset while I prefer to listen to a lower tone (600-700 Hz).
 Until I started using fldigi with it's waterfall, I didn't even realize what
tones I was listening to so yes, I probably answered stations 100-200 Hz offset

3) The TS-440 RIT only shows 100 Hz offsets, so I can have the RIT +/- 90 Hz
and not be able to tell it.

Take me back to my Drake Twins (1967), or the older Johnson Viking II and
Hammarlund receiver, and zero beat was easy although the Viking probably
drifted more than you guys are complaining about ;-)

73,
Ken WA8JXM

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK