Re: Topband: ARRL 160 conditions/zero beat

To: "Ken" <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 conditions/zero beat
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:22:10 -0500
From: "Ken" <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Cc: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 11:49 AM

>A few points on the zero beat issue:
>
> Some rigs are difficult to "zero beat".   For example, my TS-440:
>
> 1) does not have a ZB function
>
> 2) uses a 800 Hz offset while I prefer to listen to a lower tone (600-700
> Hz).   Until I started using fldigi with it's waterfall, I didn't even
> realize what tones I was listening to so yes, I probably answered stations
> 100-200 Hz offset
>
> 3) The TS-440 RIT only shows 100 Hz offsets, so I can have the RIT +/- 90
> Hz and not be able to tell it.
>
> Take me back to my Drake Twins (1967), or the older Johnson Viking II and
> Hammarlund receiver, and zero beat was easy although the Viking probably
> drifted more than you guys are complaining about ;-)
>
> 73,
> Ken WA8JXM

Now, now Ken, stop beating on the old Johnsons. Both my V-I and VII CDC have
122 VFO's and after tossing the 6AU6's for 6AH6's, reducing the regulated
voltage to 105 with zeners and redoing the sloppy kit construction they are
stable enough even for 10M....AM anyway.
I do use them both on 20-160 CW and drift is negligible after a 20 minute
warmup. Its those damn 120X, 129X and 140X and early Super Pro Hammarlunds
here that drift!

OTOH, the Nationals are rock solid as are the 75A2 and A3.

I made about 80 Q's in the contest just putzing around using the V-I and
HRO-60 with a BC-453. There was no problem with the Left Coast or EU but the
inverted vee at 180' on the top of the hill helped a bit (-;

Interestingly enough the vintage gear heard better than my TS-940 with both
400Hz filters and equal to the TS-950SD with a pair of 500Hz filters. I
contribute that to lack of, or minimum phase noise. I also have a highly
modified 75A4 that Ive had since 65 paired with the Kenwoods and it is the
best 160/80 battle conditions CW radio Ive owned or used by far.

Carl
KM1H