Topband: K7RAT QRP Experience in ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: K7RAT QRP Experience in ARRL 160
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:46:47 -0800
I went into this contesting thinking the QRP record for Oregon would
be easy to break with 10 hours or so of effort.  WRONG!!  While
conditions sounded good before sunset - conditions seemed really poor
to many areas of the country.  I never did manage to work Texas, or
much of anything on the east coast.

About half of my QSOs were made CQing and having west coast guys
answer me.  I would find a "clear" frequency, which was likely
something a strong European was using (which we could not hear at all
out west).  Occasionally, I would hear someone call and work whomever
it was I couldn't hear.

There was one case where W8JI called me.  This was during a time that
NOBODY was calling me.  I think I CQ'd for 20 minutes and he was the
only guy who called.  I was pretty certain he must had been calling
someone else - and I sent him a "?" - but he came back and signed his
call again.  I sent a report - and was hoping they would send my call
to remove any doubt about what was going on - however, all they did
was send 5NN GA.

Now - if I had been running other stations on the east coast - I
probably wouldn't have wondered about this - but since nobody else was
hearing me - I was stunned that they could hear me.  I eventually
found their CQ frequency and worked them again.

This brings up a point - there are a lot of times on 160 where it is
very useful for the search and pounce station to send the callsign of
the CQing station - so the CQing station knows for sure who is being
worked.  The discussion of off frequency stations also highlighted
this need - as that prevents someone from "working" and unintended
station if their frequency is slightly off.

Many people have adopted this operatating practice - and if you are
someone like W8JI who can do "impossible" things - it might be good to
do it more often.

Tree N6TR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK