Re: Topband: An observation about Topband contesting technique

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: An observation about Topband contesting technique
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:23:47 -0500
> These stations aren't crocodiles - many are in the
> super station category and definitely have the "ears" to hear me. This
> seems to be a matter of operating technique, not technology.
> [...]
> Last night I worked 19 of the 26 stations I called on the east coast. The
> others should have been hearing me just as well. I seriously doubt it was
> their ears were the problem as they were all big stations.

Just a heads up on what was going on, on this side of the pond:

Conditions from East Coast US to West Coast US were very unoptimal.

Those west coast multipliers are very valuable and there's a bunch of them that
were a struggle to get from the east coast.

I am sure many of the big guns who were calling but didn't hear you, had their
receive antenna pointed towards the West Coast of the US.

I know for example that I tried to work N8OO on multiple occasions but he
couldn't hear me at all. I'm quite certain (from the stations he was working)
he had a very effective receive antenna pointed squarely towards California.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK