Re: Topband: K2AV 160m Folded Counterpoise Antenna - New Details Posted

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <w0uce@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K2AV 160m Folded Counterpoise Antenna - New Details Posted
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:34:11 -0500
>sense.  It is well known that window line is >lossy when wet.

I am curious if anyone has actually measured this over a range of frequencies.
Afaik, the "it's lossy when wet" is based on a model that I've seen some say
overstates the loss for a wet window line.

>  I am feeding my vertical
>using 850 feet of open wire line with XHHW >insulation (whatever
>that is made out of).

XHHW uses cross-linked polyethylene insulation. It is very tough (it's used on
triplex-type power lines), and I would expect it to have essentially the same
electrical properties as "regular" polyethylene wire since it's very nearly the
same chemical composition.

>  It would be interesting to measure the
>loss on a rainy day and see how much it >increased.
>Rick N6RK

You could probably do a more controlled test just wetting the lines with a
garden hose :-)

-Bill

[Sent using Blackberry Messaging]
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK