Re: Topband: Nice QRPP QSO

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nice QRPP QSO
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:27:56 -0500
>  QRP may be fun for the QRP station but it's
>  often a PITA for the station on the other end.

I'm sure that's true in some cases, but QRP'ers take heart! There
are some, myself included, who enjoy the challenge of trying to dig
a very weak signal from the noise. I suppose that is why I
gravitated toward EME, 160m DX, 6m DX, anywhere else I am likely
have to really dig stuff out. It's also one reason I don't enjoy
digital modes - it robs me of the challenge and fun of using my
brain to decode something which is at the very limit of audibility.
To each their own! Personally, I'd get more enjoyment out of
watching paint dry.

As for band plans, I think we've seen some very sensible comments in
this thread about utilizing the band but being mindful of the
enjoyment of others. Over the past several years, with low solar
activity, the 1.810 to 1.835 segment was crammed to the brink with
DX and people calling for DX. This was especially true around and
just after sunset here in New England. This year, with solar
activity on the rise and topband conditions well down from what
we've seen of late, it seems far less busy. I will add that 1.810 to
1.820 is a favorite among DX stations in Southeast Asia trying to
work North America, especially the east coast. These signals are
almost always VERY weak and fleeting, making this activity is
especially vulnerable to QRM.

I admit I've had mixed feelings about where to put digital. Below
1.810 seems unfair as most of the world cannot operate there. Given
the available options, I don't see any better option that the 1.835
t0 1.840 segment where most of it is now.

To me, 1.800 to 1.810 seems an ideal place for casual QRP and CW
operation where DX outside North America is not the goal. As I am
weening myself from the much beloved pursuit of DX (not easy!), I
went looking for and found a new interest: building of
vintage/antique gear. Having been an avid topband DXer for many
years, I plan to stay below 1.810 when on the air with my homebrew
antique rigs. I hope to work a few of you down there eventually.
I've not yet wound a set of 160 meter coils for my recently
completed 1929 TNT transmitter, so I'm "stuck" on 80 meters at the
moment.

73,
Paul N1BUG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK