Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors

To: "Gary@ka1j.com" <Gary@ka1j.com>, "TOPBAND@CONTESTING.COM" <TOPBAND@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:17:28 -0800 (PST)
Gary,

I'm currently using Thomas & Betts compression connectors on both flooded and
normal RG6.  The tools I'm using were purchased at Lowe's for ~$20 each. One is
a stripper, specific to RG-6.  The compression tool is designed for the T&B
connectors and RG-6 cable.

Strip the cable so that 1/4 inch of center is exposed, and 1/4 inch of outer
insulation behind that is removed. Fold back the outer shield metal so that it
lays flat on the cable jacket, away from the exposed dielectric and center
conductor.  I've been leaving the foil shield intact on the dielectric.

Push the connector onto the prepared cable so that the center conductor is
flush with the outer shell of the connector (or protruding a short distance
beyond) and the dielectric is lined up with the end of the smaller diameter
hole inside the connector.  Basically, when you screw on the female connector,
you want the dielectric to just butt up to the dielectric of the female
connector.

It does take some force to push the connector on.  The tools do not do this for
you.

Only when all the pieces are lined up should the compression ring be engaged
with the compression tool. Compress until the rubber O-ring is no longer
visible.

Hope that helps.

-Jeff
W0ODS