Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors
From: "Ron Kolarik" <k0idt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:32:35 -0600
With all this talk of proper RG-6 connectors I've seen
nothing about the proper torque spec. You do know there's
a torque spec I hope. I've put on thousands, yes thousands,
of RG-6 and RG-59 connectors and if they aren't torqued
properly you're asking for trouble down the road especially
if they are outside. Thermal cycling wil loosen them over time.
Each connector manufacturer should have this listed for
their fittings and click type wrenches are available but not
cheap. Do not buy a used wrench, probably not even close to the
proper spec.

Flooded cable comes with some unique problems, the flooding
will flow into connectors and generally make a mess if your
connectors aren't put on properly. Also try not to have a
connector at the bottom of a vertical run, small radius below
the connector and mount horizontal. DO NOT USE ANY TAPE
or other covering on the connectors, if you put them on right
they are waterproof.....horizontal or the backend of the connector
pointing down.

Quad shield is nice if you get it cheap but the only place I've
ever used it was in a head-end......rf and computer generated noise,
lots of it and engineering required it. The single braid and foil
shield will do nicely and for amateur use is more than adequate.

The last cable I used was Commscope with either PPC or Digicon
connectors. Standard 1/4" center conductor and 1/4" shield/braid
exposed. In practical use once the end is prepped the braid is simply
fanned away from the foil a bit and the fitting pushed on until
the di-electric is flush inside the connector, check for stray braid and
crimp

Ron
K0IDT

Message: 4