Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:38:33 -0500
It shouldn't take so much force that you need pliers to slide the
connector body onto the cable. That sounds to me like the foil is
jamming up inside the cable/connector. What I've always done with the
quad-shield (and tri-shield) cable is to remove the outer foil and then
fold both braids back over the jacket with the plastic snap-ring between
the jacket and the braid (similar to how the inner metal ring works in
an N connector). If the inner foil isn't bonded to the dielectric then I
usually remove that too but you need to be careful since the foil needs
to go *inside* the tube-like inner part of the metal connector body.

It's very important that neither the foil nor the braid get stuffed back
down into the jacket when installing an SNS-type F connector. If the
foil gets stuffed down into the cable the connector will be a real pain
to slide in place. If the braid gets stuffed down into the cable the
connector won't be able to properly grip the cable once installed due to
the too-small effective diameter of the cable with the displaced braid.

I also don't think the newer-style connectors that have an integral
snap-in plastic piece are as a good as the older style where the snap-in
piece was completely removable from the metal connector body. I've
always found the "two piece" type SNS connectors to hold better after
installation.

        -Bill

> Over the years, with considerable experimentation (and a fair number
of
> wasted connectors), I've learned that, even with the "right"
connector,
> I must twist the connector onto the cable with considerable force
using
> vice-grip pliers, then crimp it.  I am currently using Paladin
> connectors and a $20 Paladin crimper that I bought at Fry's a year or
so
> ago. I bought two jars, one color coded black and the other violet.
They
> seem to work equally well with the RG6 that I have, and I can't pull
> them off once they are on.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK