Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.
From: "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:07:55 -0500
On Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:44:09 am Neil G0JHC wrote:
> I would be interested to hear how "close" any one has put a Beverage to the
> base of a  power line tower (which is radio quiet) before they have started
> to couple noise in to the receiver.

The northeast end of my 30 degree/210 degree two-wire Beverage terminates about
20 feet (horizontal distance) from the 7200 volt (line to neutral) line that
runs
along the road at the north end of my property.  It works great.

So far, I've never noticed any "coupling" (because of proximity) between the
Beverages (I have 12 of them - 6 2-wire runs) and any other antenna or metallic
object.

When there is power line noise, then nearly all of the Beverages hear it, in
varying degrees, depending greatly on how close the source is.  When the source
is very close, almost all of the Beverages hear the noise, and there isn't any
discernible difference with regard to the normally preferred direction.  When
the source is a mile or more away, then the Beverages seem to exhibit their
normal directivity.

Note that none of my Beverages run parallel to any power lines, except the
90 degree/270 degree Beverage, which is about 500 feet from the power lines.

Victor, K1LT
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK