Re: Topband: T8CC

To: <bernie@dailydx.com>, "'TOPBAND'" <TOPBAND@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: T8CC
From: "DL2OBO" <dl2obo@dl2obo.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:00:08 +0100
I was on Palau in October 2010 on our honeymoon trip. The Palau Pacific
Resort ***** is a great luxury hotel and has a "radio room" to rent
(hotelroom).
You can choose from FT1000MP, FT2000 and FT920 plus an automatic Yaesu PA.
So far so good.

The antennas are not "up to date" ( Oct. 2010 ).    3bander, dipoles warc,
40m GP, 80m dipole, 160m dipole

They are on a small hill but there are even more and taller hills towards EU
and USA.

The Dipole for 160m was broken. Also the complete Coax run up the hill
(100m/300ft) is not really in a good shape.(moisture, saltwater environment)

I built a 20m tall base loaded vertical to get my signal out on 80m and
worked some EU and Westcoast USA.
on 160m just a few "local" JAs...... not really to mention.....

So if you want THAT LOWBAND qth, choose another rent-a-shack or ask if you
can build your own antennas at another place on the very large hotel
property.
There are better places to put your (lowband) antennas if you get permission
from the hotel.
The janitor is also a (nonactive) Ham (ex JA) who can assist. He is very
helpful.

For us, being on honeymoon, there was no chance to put up a topband antenna
within a 9 days stay.

if you plan ahead and bring some antenna/fishing rods/.... the PPR is a
great hotel and location if you put up you own low-band antenna.

If you want 40% diving, 40% leisure and 20% DX without having to transport
radio gear, the Palau and the PPR is heaven on earth!

There are at least two more rent-a-shack locations on T8-Palau.

links are on my website.

The one called   ...."Plaza by the sea" could be better for 160m, I haven't
been there

the other one mentioned on www.dl2obo.com is in the city center and has only
a shortened dipole for topband or so. No space!

many pictures of the hotel(s), surrounding and country are on www.dl2obo.com
or quicklink    www.dl2obo.de/pages/japanpalau/japanpalau.html
also DX-meeting with 7J4AAL, JA5AQC, JH1AJT, JA5AUC,..... in Hiroshima

If you plan a trip to Palau send me an email, maybe I can help with
info.....  getting a license is quick and easy......

DL2OBO  (T88DL)
Carsten-Thomas Dauer  ( Tom )
c/o Hotel Hellers Krug
Altendorfer Str. 19