Re: Topband: T8CC

To: TOPBAND@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: T8CC
From: Charles Otnott <wd5bjt@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:51:31 -0500 (EST)
I was on Palau back in '82 as KC6CO. My mission there
was the chief radio operator on a USCG cutter that
tended the buoys and navigational aids.

Some problems I encountered were lack of parts
availibility, no tall trees, and extremely rough
volcanic rock/soil. I had a big problem getting
a good earth ground inland. The only low band
antenna I could manage was a random length wire
thrown up between the coconut trees. I tossed a
wire into the salt water lagoon for a ground.
Visions of the WWII coast watchers constantly
went through my mind.

Not many QSOs were made this way, but I could not
get permission to put up anything better. I did
have a wonderful visit with Mr. Joe Anson, KC6JA,
who was a retired USCG electronics tech who lived
there. I lost touch with Joe after a few years.

Wonderful diving, boonie stomping, and WWII history.

73 & Best DX

Charlie
WD5BJT

See September 2006 CQ Magazine for a published work.
www.qsl.net/wd5bjt

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com