Topband: Anyone Notice Odd Propagation During Stew?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Anyone Notice Odd Propagation During Stew?
From: jmaass@k8nd.com
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:32:05 -0500

  I wonder if anyone else noticed something like this during the Stew.

 At around 0155Z, I made a note that Europeans were no longer stronger on our
1000-foot Europe Beverage (~55 degrees), but were very strong on our 650-foot
USA/JA Beverage(333 degrees). This lasted for about 90 minutes, after which
signal leves flopped back to normal.

 I can normally "parse" the 160-meter pileup by switching Beverages to work
either USA or Europe, with only the most strong stations in EU or USA crossing
over to be heard on the other Beverage. In this case it was all a monster
"mixed Stew" (sorry!) on the USA antenna. There was no additional noise on the
Europe Beverage to make the appear that strengths increased on the USA
Beverage: it sounded normal, but the Europeans were puny weak.

 I've experienced "bent-path", of course, but in this case the difference in
the preferred direcion of the Beverages was around 90 degrees, and through the
polar region!

 A map showing the direction of the two Beverages over a azimuthal projection
map centered on PJ2T can be found online at:

http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Planning/CQWW160/PJ2T_RX_Ants_Bev_4SQ_Actual_091216a.pdf.

 73,  Jeff PJ2/K8ND (Opr PJ2T)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK