Re: Topband: 160M JT65HF

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M JT65HF
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 14:47:52 -0500
I use JT65 on TB alot. I also watch the Dx Cluster, Hamspots.net,
PSKreporter, DX watch and a few others @ ALL times.. if *ANYONE* spots a
station from 1836-1843 and im on JT65.. I qrx & listen to see if I hear
them, or they are being called. Its that simple, even if its a EU spot for
an station some where I have no prop,or any CHANCE of prop.   I also find
that the many of users are running 25-50w , not QRO.. JT65 has a HUGE qrp
following aswell. I also know that many JT65 ops.. watch these tools (
cluster ext ext ) aswell..  as some operate on 1805-1808..the NICE thing
abt JT65 is that its NOT a rag chew mode.. u exchange call grid, sig
report.. and then guess what.. you dnt work them again on that band. (or @
least I dont ) Try it out, every night I usually hear 45 different stations
all over the US, Canada , Mexico & ocassionally EU. Alot more than I ever
here on CW unless theres a contest or a pile up.

For those who do Use JT65 pse see These valuable resources They AID you in
determining if a QRG is clear when you cannot hear the other side of stuff
or where there is prop -> hamspots.net,  http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
( fill in appropriate drop down boxes for mode ,call, ect ect ) And please
check the Enable RB & Enable PSKR boxes in your JT65-HFsoftware, all these
do is send your received & decoded stations to the the above pages, for
plotting on a map for prop reports, if anything it aids in the REDUCTION of
endless CQ's.

I have just abt worked all the active JT65 ops on TB that I can hear abt 45
states thus far in a few months of op time, I generally dnt CQ for hours..
I listen ALOT.. or I cq 1 or 2x and then look @ the prop reporter pages..
and see if there are monitors on, and if so If they hear me. If not.. I
wait a bit n try again.

I personally would rather be on CW, but I use every tool available to me
(modes, spotting netwroks, endless vfo spinning @ both greylines) , as I am
not a rock crushing station on TB, if I was to  use *every possible tool*,
I would not be putting in the effort that most of us know TB Demands.
Simply put, if I want results from a way less that optimal station, not
doing so is like shooting myself in the leg.

73's es HNY

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ
http://www.qrz.com/db/N2JDQ
(qrz listing has some TB audio clips for those interested in what dx sounds
like from my 'lil guy' perspective)