Re: Topband: Top band: Preventing QRM

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top band: Preventing QRM
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:05:22 -0500
Bob,

I am in the same situation.. I use many toos available free..a few of them
are  #1) Dx cluster I leave it unfiltered ( with the exception of band ) so
I see all spots. #2) Hamspot.net  you can really get a feel for who is on
here, as it gets the reports from the skimmers.  #3) Listen alot ( already
been mentioned ).. When running other modes I use the RB network, PSK
reporter, http://jt65.w6cqz.org/receptions.php (for JT65) in addition to
the others.. It can be a tad of info overload..but when im trying to work
into an area I cant hear @ the moment the LAST thing I wanna do,  as you
mentioned before is CQ on a QRG in use. Enjoy!

Steve Raas
N2JDQ

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Chortek, Robert L <
Robert.Chortek@berliner.com> wrote:

> Good Morning:
>
> I have a very modest 160m station. Since I cannot hear as well as most of
> you, I run the risk of calling CQ on what appears to be a clear frequency
> and QRMing a DX station calling CQ or disrupting an ongoing QSO.
>
> Any suggestions on how to prevent?
>
> To minimize any potential issues, I usually select a splinter frequency
> (i.e., 1820.5, 1823.5, etc), send "QRL?", and listen for a while.
>
> 73
>
> Brian, KD6NRP
>
> Brian,
>
> First listen, then check the packet spots to see if the coast is clear,
> then call QRL? several times and listen for an "R", etc., and then fire
> away.  We are all friends on Top band and someone will politely ask you to
> QSY if necessary.
>
> 73 and welcome to 160!
>
> Bob/AA6VB

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK